Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July

We are having a picnic later today.   A pot luck picnic, where all the neighbors will bring their prize winning salads, baked beans, and desserts.  A true slice of Americana.   The Summer Diner and The Snack Shop are providing the hot dogs, condiments, paper goods and beverages. 
My contribution will be baked beans.  They are in the slow cooker as I write this.  I'm not sure if they would win any prizes at a county fair, but I did taste them and they are good.  My father always put a few hot peppers in his baked beans.  They gave the dish a little heat, not a lot, but a lot of flavor.  I did the same.
My uncle played in a marching band, so did my grandfather and three of my boys (my daughter was in color guard).  Last night, I found one one of my favorite marches, National Eblem.
As you listen to the march, imagine our Batavia Concert Band coming down Main St.  They always started this march just before they had to make the turn onto Harvester Avenue and the cemetery for the Memorial Day parade.  About a quarter of the way into it, they would start their turn.  We always watched the parade from that corner.  Soon, the entire band would complete the turn and start down Harvester.  The music still loud enough to hear, but somewhat muffled since they had their backs to us now.
They would end the National Eblem March just as they got to the memorial where the morning ceremonies would take place.
The National Eblem March, to me, is one of the most patriotic pieces of music I know.
Wishing you all a safe and happy 4th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U40OIESDwlU&feature=player_detailpage

No comments:

Post a Comment