Monday, April 11, 2011

Community Container Garden

The die is cast.  We have a location for our community garden.  Actually, I like this spot better than the one originally planned.  It is directly in front of the lobby windows.  It will give the lobby watchers something to stare at other than the parking lot.  Don't ask.  It's a long story.
The space is about 8'x6'.  It will be perfect for containers. 
This was the year we were to have raised beds.  It will certainly make working in the garden easier for one of our gardeners who is in a wheel chair. 
a portion of last year's garden

When there is a will there is a way.   But, I'm putting the cart before the horse.  We have our organization meeting on Friday.  We'll assess what we will need to make this space the perfect garden.
I will put out a call for donations of containers; seeds; plants; top soil; gardening tools, etc.  Someone's trash could very well be our treasures.
This morning, the garden was sitting in the back of my mind and at the bottom of my to do list.  This afternoon, after walking around and deciding on a site, my fingers itch to get into the soil. 
I will concentrate on herbs.  It will be nice to go outdoors and grab what I need to add to the dishes we will make for the residents.  Of course tomatoes; peppers and onions will end up in the community kitchen.  For color, I have to plant at least one or two sunflower plants.
Pictures and stories of the garden will be forthcoming.
In the meantime, my to do list is growing.  Time to get busy.

2 comments:

  1. Love the idea of raised beds. Have you seen the ones at GCNH? Very nice and great for wheelchairs and bad backs! Don't forget the dollar store - lots of tools, gloves and pots. Also check with some of the garden shops and landscapers to see if they can give you a deal on supplies. How about putting something in the pennysaver under "Who knows..." for donations. good luck Bea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cathie
    Actually, today was a day to work on the Garden Club project. I have a donation of containers coming tomorrow morning and a collection of seeds coming from someone else :)
    Mailed out several written requests for donations; made phone calls for more; talked to one of the nurseries.
    Finally, I looked at the clock at realized I'd been at it starting at 10am and now it was 5pm. That is as much time as I sat at a desk when I worked.
    I think I have a few leads on barrels. Cut in half they are the perfect size for those in wheel chairs and those who use walkers.
    It was a satisfying day.
    Tomorrow? I think I'll work on Kentucky Derby party and diner stuff.

    ReplyDelete