Friday, April 8, 2011

Govenment Shut Down?

Are you glued to a news station waiting to hear if our government is shutting down at midnight?
The GOP is painting itself into a corner on this one.  They have gone beyond fighting to reduce the deficit and cut spending.  Instead they are hanging their hat on eliminating funding for women's health services.

I have my own view on abortion.  I find it a horrendous method of birth control.  I have argued this position many times with my very liberal friends. 
That said, I would never approve or agree with the GOP shutting down our government in thier attempt to reduce women to second class citizens.

First, the abortion issue shouldn't be on the table.
Much of the agenda centers on the GOP's calls to block "taxpayer funding of abortion,".  Never mind that there is already a federal prohibition on taxpayer funding of abortion. This is a non issue.

What is at stake is the work of Planned Parenthood and other organization that provides preventive health care to some three million Americans a year. These organization annually provide about one million cervical cancer screenings; more than 825,000 breast exams; contraception for nearly 2.5 million people; and more than 3.5 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections.

The GOP wants to end this!
They want to shut down the government due to an idealogical debate. 

I'm tired of this.  I'm disgusted with the GOP and the kowtowing to the Tea Party. 
There is no other entity to place the blame for this fiasco.

No comments:

Post a Comment