Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Twelve Months of Monastery Soups

I love cookbooks.
I especially like cookbooks that offer more than just page after page of recipes.
One, in particular, is the "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups" by Brother Victor-Antoine d'Avila-Latourrette.
I purchased my copy several years ago when I and a friend of my mother's went to Mass at the Abbey of the Genesee in Piffard, New York.  The Mass is in Latin and the Gregorian Chant is breathtaking.  My friend passed away a month ago.  Each time I pick up my book I think of that Sunday at the monastery and appreciate the friendship she and my mom had. 
The cookbook was an added bonus.  Little did I know that it would be a book I kept off the bookshelves and near my desk. 
Brother Victor presents simple soups that anyone can make.  He uses ingredients found locally, which I like.  The wood cuts, used throughout the book, are fascinating.
If you like soup, and if you like cookbooks, I highly recommend adding the "Twelve Months of Monastery Soups" to your collection.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll try to pick up the book AND will try to swing by and catch a mass next time I'm in the area! It sounds very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know his books are available on Amazon.com. The Mass is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete