Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cityville and Other Facebook Addictions

Is there a place where one can go and admit to being addicted to some of the games on Facebook?
I've tried some of the other cities and towns that Facebook offers, but grew tired of them. 
Cityville, has me hooked.
If you haven't tried it, it is an interactive game where you build your tiny plot of land into various levels until you reach the top rank.  Along the way, you add citizens; commercial ventures, housing, community buildings and, recently, snow and decorations.
It all seemed benign until I learned that one could add people outside the normal circle of friends.
Now, I have friends from Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa and South America.  While we may have a language barrier, this game allows us to play and communicate with ease.
It is like having Christmas every day.  You never know what you will find when you open the browser to check on your city.  Gifts fly across the board as we help each other reach our goals.

My other Facebook addictions, Family Feud and Wheel of Fortune, are played with ex-coworkers; schoolmates from 50 years ago, and friends. 
These are familiar games.  At times they are easy to play and win.  At other times, one sends the game to friends for help. 
This is friendly competition.  There are laughs when we realize how silly (and wrong) some answers can be.  We keep on each other by passing along the message that we've just beat their high score.

The last of my addictions isn't as obsessive.  I started playing The Price is Right when I considered purchasing the Wii version for the residents.  The game is familiar to most of them.  I thought it would be a good fit. 
The Facebook version opened my eyes to an entirely different world.  There are sites where one can find the prices for all the items up for bid.  The game, then, isn't just people guessing the price closest to the retail price, but who has the fastest browser and who can locate that item on the spreadsheet quicker.
I know I won't have that problem with my seniors in the community room.  They'll enjoy the game.

Check out the games on Facebook.  Who knows, you might even find me in there one of these mornings.
Have a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment