Monday, December 27, 2010

The Right Knee & Me, Week 2; Updates and Sundry Observations

Either I'm getting used to being poked in the knee or this week was exceptionally less painful.  I'm not sure which, but week 2 for the right knee is in the books.
I left the doctor's office with a sense of relief, and a handicap sticker form to take to City Hall.  It is only good for six months which leads me to believe that things will be much better by summer.  One can only hope.
Next week is the last of the series for the right knee.  The doctor warned me that this knee may not react the way the left did.  I was pain free from the first day.  This knee, not so much.  The pain is there.  The instability when I first attempt to walk is still there.  I guess he his right.

We in western New York were spared the "storm of the century" that paralized the east coast.
It was a glorious day.  Blue skies, sun, and a few flakes of snow. 
The snow sparkled as it fell.  True Christmas time snow. 

UPDATES:
Alaska son and grandson are in California waiting for a flight back to Anchorage.  Flights are backed up across the country.  I hope they don't have too long a wait.
Alaska Deb and her daughter are in New Jersey.  I understand that she is 'maintaining' and busy with her family. 

Soon to be born great grandson gave us a scare Christmas Eve when his mom had contractions seven weeks too soon.  Everything is back to normal now.  Crystal is home and resting.  Baby will just have to wait until it is his turn to join us.

OBSERVATIONS:
The Buffalo Bills need to take a page out of New England's playbook and learn how to strip the ball.
We had our usual tailgate party as we watched the disappointing game.  The best part of the afternoon was spending it with friends.

I will never understand how people can eat ice cream in the dead of winter.  I have no desire for something cold when the temperature is below freezing.  I will make an exception.  Yesterday, one of the tailgaters brought pistachio gelato.  I only had a taste.  The gelato was outrageously good.

Did you ever wonder why people will ask for a recipe and then begin changing it even before they try it?  A friend of mine received a venison roast.  He had no idea how to cook it, so I suggested my tried and true "drunk steak" recipe.  This works with any roast.
Place the roast in a crockpot.  Cover the entire roast with thinly sliced onions.  In a small bowl, mix 1 cup chili sauce, one cup brown sugar and one can of beer; pour over the onions.  Cover and let cook for about 8 hours. 
How hard is that?
"How many onions?", he asked.
"Until you can't see the roast anymore", was the simple answer.
"The last time I used chli sauce, it was too spicy for me.  I'll leave that out!", he decided.
"Why not use ketchup.", I suggested. 
"I don't think I have any brown sugar.  Can I use white sugar?". 
This is NOT someone who knows his way around the kitchen.
I recommended that he get brown sugar if he wanted this to turn out edible.
I can't wait to hear how it turned out.
Now, if he doesn't like it, he will claim it is the recipe I gave him and not the changes he made to it.
Ya just can't win!

No comments:

Post a Comment