Monday, December 6, 2010

The Knee and Me, Week 3

Before I tell about the knee and me, week 3, I have to mention that it is snowing and blowing outside my tower window.  Not a gentle snowfall, but another real snow storm.  This is what we expect in Western New York. 

View from the Tower window.
It was snowing when I went for the shot.  But it was just lazy flakes.  Nothing serious.  When I walked into the office, I was surprised to see only four people in the waiting room.  That meant not much of a wait.  It also meant steeling myself for what was to come.
I'll admit that last week's injection was a tad traumatic.  I didn't expect it to be as painful as it was.
I had the entire week to think about experiencing that again.
Finally, yesterday, I came to grips with the anticipation and decided that it wasn't doing me any good to stress over an event in the future.
After all, the entire process would take less than a minute.  I certainly could withstand whatever was thrown at me for that short amount of time.
I went into the treatment room full of resolve.  "Just keep the leg relaxed", I told myself. 
We talked about the weather as the doctor prodded my knee for just the right spot. 
"Relax.  Relax.  Relax.", was my silent mantra.
The needle went in with just a little bit of a shot of discomfort.  Then it was over.  I think we hit a record time of less than 30 seconds.
The first three weeks are not in the history books.  Unfortunately, the insurance company hasn't given the go ahead for the right knee yet.  I really hoped we would just continue on with the right knee and have it done with.  Maybe we'll hear from them this week.
While I'm warned that the other knee may not behave quite as well as the left did, I'm hoping it is so.  I am pain free in the left knee.  I have been since the first injection.  The difference is amazing.  The doctor said that our goal is to have the gel last at least six months or more. 
I understand that not everyone has the immediate relief that I had.  I also understand that the right knee may react differently.  We'll have to wait and see.
I'm not quite up to jumping up and down for joy yet.  After the other knee is done, I'll be ready for that.
still 19 days til' Christmas

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing well! We can go walking the next time I'm up there if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete